If you haven’t gotten yourself into one of those high-tech all-electric cars yet, have no fear: there are still plenty of ways to make your ride cheaper, cleaner, and greener. We’ll get you started with some quick and easy fuel efficiency tips.
- When you’re driving, especially on the highway, make sure to avoid hard acceleration and sharp braking. Both will increase the amount of fuel being used by your engine.
- Make sure you’re at the correct PSI (tire pressure). Following the PSI suggested in your owner’s manual can increase your car’s efficiency up to 3% per month.
- If there are any mechanical problems with your car, fix them as soon as you can. Small issues can decrease your efficiency by 4% monthly, and large problems can absolutely destroy your efficiency numbers, losing up to 40%. In other words, go get that tune-up!
- Don’t idle! Idling costs you 1-3 cents each minute, or 2-4 cents if you’re AC is on.
- Consider all your transportation options before hopping in your car: carpool, walk, bus, train, etc. A few avoided rides a month can save you a lot in the long run.
These fuel efficiency tips are sure to keep your car – and your wallet – happy.